Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Oh, Us Girls

Girls, in our bid for love, sometimes we immaturely ask the wrong questions, and we set the wrong standards. 

As we go through our mental checklist we ask:

"Is he good enough?"

Then we either fall into one of two errors:
1) In desperation, we quickly "pass" the guy and settle for good enough. 
As in, "Yeah I'm tired of waiting, of holding out, so yeah he's good enough."

Or

2) In arrogance, we decide no, he's not the Prince Charming we've been dreaming of.
As in, "No, you don't meet all of my 1,001 expectations of who exactly I want to marry.  As if."

(I know I'm making grand and sweeping generalizations, but it's late and I don't really want to write a lengthy post.)

I wonder if the better question to ask would be

"Is he the best fit for me, and vice versa?"

Because that would guard against both extremes of settling for someone who doesn't fit, and having unrealistic expectations.

As in, "Yeah, you've got all the proper, orthodox theology, but are we even on the same wavelength???"

As in, "Yeah, you're not Brad Pitt or Mark Driscoll, or whoever, but I'm not Jennifer Aniston either." 

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer Aniston and Marc Driscoll... no I don't see them working out. ahha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Aniston, who sees no real point in having men to start families and would rather go in vitro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:03 AM

    i'm with them on laughing over the last line. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to amen this post. even the celebrity comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about good fit?
    If you go with best fit, you can always imagine better fit and it's a hop, skip and jump back to unrealistic expectations.

    If you really wanna open up your pool of marryables, consider this quote:
    marriage is successful because it’s built not on an unattainable fantasy of perfection, but out of the realization that love is created, not presented.

    ReplyDelete