Growing up I quickly earned the nickname of "little sparrow". In China sparrows were always chattering away. So in other words, I was a chatterbox. I've always loved to talk, talk, and talk.
I'm a verbal processor. I have to talk through things, and when I can't, the words seem to bang against my ribs fighting to get out. Not talking is painful for me.
Keeping silent is difficult and uncomfortable in many situations for me, but the hardest times are when I'm misunderstood, challenged, annoyed, offended, or the like. My usual response is to snap back in defense, which unfortunately has garnered me the reputation of being abrasive, contentious, and temperamental amongst some people.
Oh joy.
Those are among the very last things that I'd like to be known for. So in an effort to rectify this, not so that I can be "popular" amongst people, but so that I'd have the quiet and gentle spirit that is precious in the sight of the Lord, I've been trying to bite my tongue (figuratively) and bite my lip (literally) when I've been feeling defensive.
I'm surprised I don't have bite marks on my lips yet.
But I'm learning that silence goes a long way.
No comments:
Post a Comment