Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Character

We choose who we are in five years, today.
~ Graham Watt, paraphrased from memory

The word character or its equivalent, i.e. solid, is something that we throw around too easily nowadays because the very essence of character is that it's built up little by little over time. 

Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

The well known maxim goes:
"Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action; reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny."

Character is therefore not characterized by how much theology I know or can spout [intelligence], nor is it characterized by the title of my job [status/station], nor is it characterized by how witty or charming I am [personality].  It is characterized by the accumulation of each minute and even [seemingly] mundane decision and action.

That said, I have sorely and slovenly neglected the development of my character in this past year.  I dare say I have regressed in some ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment