Saturday, November 28, 2009

Top Five Movies According to ME

I never really wanted to try to list my top five movies because I can't remember all the movies that I've seen, but I figure if it's going to be good enough to make it to my top five, it should at least stay in my memory. So here we go.

My criteria:

1) Watchability- Is this something that I would watch over and over again? Because there are great movies out there that I wouldn't. Like, Passion of the Christ and Schindler's List, just to give a few examples.

2) Visual Experience- As an artist myself, cinematography, videography, colours, settings, and costumes make a deep impression on me, and so influences my movie experience.

3) Plot- Is it entertaining? Does it have a point? Does it tell a story well?

In no particular order:

1. Hero
Great plot. Gorgeous visuals. Especially loved the way the story was told and how colour schemes were incorporated into that. Genius. It took my breathe away.

2. Ocean Eleven [Remake]
Love heist movies. There's just something about watching the plan come together and then executed. Throw in some quirky characters and humour, and we're set.

3. Italian Job [Remake]
Ditto the above. Plus there's the chase scenes with the minis.

4. Elizabeth
She was my favourite female historical figure growing up. I ate up biographies of her. Kapur and Blanchett did a fantastic job of bringing the intricate and complex personal and public life of Elizabeth I to the big screen. Oh, and the costumes? Ahhh...

5. Marie Antoinette
I know, there's people throwing rotten tomatoes at the screen right now for me even mentioning this. I just have to say that it gives a different perspective of the controversial and hated queen. I thought it was brilliant the way it showcased the coming of age of Marie in a pressured, volatile, sometimes hostile, and very privileged environment. It was well done. Oh and visually? A candy shop for the eyes.

Honourable Mentions
These were not listed above because of "watchability".

* Lord of the Rings by Peter Jackson [Too long]
* Life is Beautiful by Roberto Bellini [Too depressing]
* Water by Deepa Mehta [Too depressing]
* Moulin Rouge by Baz Luhrmann [Too sad]

I don't like movies with sad endings.

1 comment:

  1. Tabitha3:29 PM

    my list is too disney. so much so that i think people would stop reading my blog if i posted it.

    good picks.

    ReplyDelete