Monday, October 19, 2009

The Weight That Hinders

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (NIV)

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us...(ESV)

Hebrews 12:1

These days when I run, I carry only two things;
1) my iPod
2) my spare set of keys because it's just two keys not a whole whack load of jangling keychains.

I use to carry my water bottle with me as well, but even my 500ml was too much of a weight. Sometimes even carrying the iPod is irksome as I jog. I've stripped myself down to the bare minimum; laying aside every weight that hinders... because it just made sense.

Which made me wonder during the Toronto Zoo run if I've done that spiritually.
Someone once wrote that not everything that hinders is a sin.

What in my life is an unnecessary weight that is hindering me?

No comments:

Post a Comment