Saturday, March 11, 2006

extolling the virtues of the farmer's market

this morning i went to the farmer's market with amanda on the way to checking out some stuff for the yearend formal.

i. love. it.

the food's so cheap and so fresh! i think amanda and i are going to go every saturday morning now. strawberries were $1.50 a pint, but i didn't get any cuz i loaded up on oranges. oyster mushrooms were only $1.50 too, but i saw that after buying two pints of portabello. i lurve my mushrooms. it was awesome. it was really quaint and artsy too. i felt like i was in a movie, a chick flick to be exact. so grown up and chic buying fresh veggies at a farmer's market. hehehehe.

there was also a chinese lady there selling these delicious dumplings, but they were too expensive. the sauce they had for the dumplings was SO good. it was heavenly. i got a taste of it on a toothpick. her husband offered it to me, but get this: her husband's white AND he speaks fluent mandarin! probably more fluent than me! then when i complimented him on his fluency he said "na ni". [rough translation: not really with the connotation that there's room for improvement and the insinuation that i'm being too kind by paying the compliment.] i was pretty much impressed. he knew the nuances of the language. complete fluency in mandarin AND mastery of "chinese modesty". whoa. he's got the culture down pat too. that takes a lot of effort and work. now he was an egg if i ever met one. some CBC's don't even have "chinese modesty". floored. totally floored. his wife told me that he was something of a spectacle when they were back in taiwan. i don't doubt it.

on another note. did you know that the word "lurve" is actually used by j.k. rowling in the sixth harry potter book? i thought it was just a rogue word spawned by the internet. i got excited when i read that last night.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:42 PM

    I love that that guy was awesome amazing in Mandarin. I always dream that some day I'll be ridiculously fluent in another language and do exactly what that guy did to you. Floor you. I'd like people to be floored by my fluency in yet-to-be-decided foreign language. At one point I even wanted to master Mandarin.
    What can I say? I set my goals high. Sorta. Now...let's identify some next steps...:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i can b lyk dat man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep going at the mandarin vaness! china's going to be the next hegemone.

    ReplyDelete