Sunday, January 16, 2011

8 Years of Hiatus Over

Ever since I can remember I've been drawing constantly. One of my first memories was my mom teaching me how to draw. I wonder if she would laugh at that now because at the time she was teaching to draw stick figures. Now I've surpassed her in skill, but I'll always owe my first drawing lessons to my mama.

Art was something I always took semi- seriously until university. I almost gave it all up because my biological father and Asian upbringing had ingrained into me the sense that since art couldn't feed you it was, and is superfluous. So after I started university I all but dropped it completely.

It grieves me that I gave up a gift from God for 8 years because of utilitarian reasons.
Here is one way that I've been created to be like Him.
I have the gift to create.
It brings me pleasure and Him pleasure.
Many people have commented that they wish they had my skills,
and here all along I've been trying to shove it under.

Throughout the years of burnout and depression He has used this gift to help revive me, and slowly I've been stripping away the lies that I've believed about art.

This new year I've started taking drawing seriously again.
Sketchbooks are filling up fast and pencils are dwindling into stubs.
And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment