S.B. blew my mind today when we met up for coffee or in my case hot chocolate.
I was sharing with her how my biggest fear about moving overseas was that I'd spiral into depression, crash, and then burn out. I told her that it'd be one thing to be lonely and homesick, but it'd be another to lose my marbles.
But she pointed out that my depression is caused by a chemical imbalance.
That it's not mental or spiritual issues that I need to work through. It's just chemicals.
That as long as I had my meds I'd be ok.
That perhaps this was God's way of saying "I have your worst fears covered way ahead of time"?
That perhaps this was a blessing instead of a hindrance.
That perhaps this was God giving the all-clear.
just a thought... not to deny what S.B is saying, and not to make you lose your new perspective, but something that we learned in Neuroscience was that with things like a diagnosis of depression, simply because something seems to be a chemical imbalance doesn't imply causality...
ReplyDeleteAnd actually even with those who lean more towards a chemical imbalance, studies have shown that it is rarely, if ever either chemical or mental, and that it is actually both (multi-causal model). There are so many reasons and factors that play into why someone might be depressed. Generally, it's a mix of all three (neurochemical, genetic and psychological) that plays into major depression. In fact, this is so agreed upon, that the search for a single cause of depression has been abandoned in favour of a multiple-factor causal model.
That is why depression meds have the best possible outcome when they are paired with intense psychotherapy (e.g. CBT).
Anyways, all this to say that the logical train of thought that S.B has given you is actually not the best psychological counsel. Even if you have your meds, there's still no guarantee that you won't spiral into depression. The reality of suffering from depression means that without stability, without excellent counselling paired with depression, being in a new country with less stable community (at least for the first while) will make it actually very possible to have another depressive episode. With or without medication.
I don't want to burst your bubble, and I definitely don't want it to seem as though I doubt God's voice in your life, but I also love you and want you to make the best decision based on God's voice, but also the sound-mind that he has given us. I know that God will always cover your worst fears ahead of time, but I also know that He has given us wisdom in making these decisions, and it's important that you know the "facts" (at least, as much as science can tell us) about what is very possible could happen to you if you do choose to go on stint.
love you!
L.
Question Shelly,
ReplyDeleteAs someone who is going through this right now, do you think that depression is from God? Is it solely medical or is there a spiritual side to it?
My comment could be very basic, but I believe God is able to completely heal you from depression, if it is within His will. Am I wrong?
N.
N.,
ReplyDeleteI think depression is from God in the sense that He allows it to happen, as he allows other illnesses to happen like cancer, aids, etc... I'm not an expert on depression. I don't even fully understand mine own, but as you can see from my bff's explanation it is not solely medical. I think it does have a spiritual side.
And yes, God can heal me from depression if it is in His will. That's what my pastor and elder prayed for me, but He can also choose not to.