Today I went and bought a phrasebook in preparation for leaving the country. I thought it would come in handy since I haven't really been overseas in a foreign country without the companionship of someone who knew the language.
S.J. came over later, and I decided to practice a few phrases on her just to make sure that I was getting the pronunciation right because it was somewhat hit and miss sounding it out from the written guide. She patiently corrected my pronunciations, and we practiced phrases on and off throughout the night.
After we finished packing and eating we went over to her place practicing phrases along the way. Just as we were stepping into an elevator I was asking S.J. about negatives with my nose stuck in my phrasebook, and who should be in the elevator but a local from the very city that I'm going to, who started giggling as soon as I stepped into the elevator.
Apparently the phrasebook had added two extra consonants to the negatives.
She agreed with S.J. about the pronunciation. We exchanged a few pleasantries about why I was learning a certain South Asian language before she left. And as soon as she left the elevator she erupted into giggles again.
No comments:
Post a Comment