So C. been teaching me to drive standard for our road trip back to the great white north.
I now know the fear of "stalling".
Yesterday was my first time on the streets, and of course I stalled at an intersection. Not an incredibly busy one, but an intersection nevertheless. I stalled at the very least... SEVEN times. I got so flustered, especially after the first few times some idiot started wailing on his horn at me. Like wailed without a break. I mean can't you see that I'm having trouble already without you making me even more panicky?
I checked my rearview mirror for him, but he wasn't behind me so I didn't understand what the rush was. In any case he could always go around me. The only other vehicle at the intersection was a moped, but it didn't seem capable of such a loud and continuous honk so I was like "What the heck?! Where is this guy, and why is he honking so hard at me?"
It was then that C. told me:
"Shelly, you need to stop leaning on the horn."
This didn't ACTUALLY happen, did it? That is HILARIOUS!!!
ReplyDeleteUmm...it actually did.
ReplyDeleteLOL, and I can sooo picture that too. Miss you, maybe we can meet up next time I am back?
ReplyDeleteoh, i got my new address, will email to you soon.
oooh.... sad times lol.
ReplyDeleteHi Shelly... someone read my post http://www.shau.ca/2009/07/16/look-out-on-the-roads/ and suggested I come read yours. It has made me feel better about my current attempt to learn to drive standard. John has taken me out in the parking lot and twice on the actual street. The second time he encouraged me to parallel park so I started to reverse for the first time ever. Suddenly there was steam coming up from the hood! I totally panicked, put it in neutral and refused to go any further. Turns out John had washed the car earlier that day and it was just water on the engine. I haven't been back since.
ReplyDeleteSARAH! Don't give up. I managed to drive with C. all the way from Colorado to Vancouver. Learning to drive standard is SO worth it. It's SO SEXY.
ReplyDelete