Comparison is a dangerous game, and we women play it too often.
In the area of singleness it goes like this:
"So-and-so got a boyfriend, why can't I? I'm just as (insert qualifying adjective here: smart, funny, beautiful, godly, etc... ) as her. Or even more so."
We do it because we think we have a right to a mate and throw a tizzy when we don't get one when we want one.
I know this because I've played this game.
"So-and-so got a man! Why can't I?"
And if not Shelly? What will you do? Give God an ultimatum?
More and more God has been impressing John 21:22 on me. Jesus had just foretold Peter's death, and Peter turns around and asks Jesus about John's future.
Jesus replies:
"If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!"
Along the same veins, I sense God pressing on my heart,
"If it is my will that she gets married, what is that to you? You follow me!"
People may think that I'm being fatalistic in thinking that I might never marry, but at this point a lifetime of singleness is just as possible as marriage. And I don't want to be naive, heading overseas. There may be someone to marry, but there may not be.
No comments:
Post a Comment