Monday, February 01, 2010

'Round and 'Round In Circles

A Typical Conversation With Mom

Me: So what do you want to talk about?
Mum: Let's talk about your "ge ren wen ti".

Literally translated it means personal problem/question.

Me: There's nothing to talk about. There's no one.
Mum: You need to look broader....As long as he's Christian by the time you marry him. You shouldn't be so stubborn and set on marrying someone within your group.
(Group being C4C staff.)
Me: I don't want to talk about this anymore. You know why I want to marry staff.
Mum: I'm just worried that once everyone's married off you'll panic and just pick some random guy.
Me: I'm the one who has higher standards here.
Mum: And even if you can wait it out what if you get married really late? It'll be dangerous for you to have children.
Me: Who's the one panicking here?
Mum: Me...
Me: See?
Mum: You just need to start dating soon. You don't have to get married. Just start dating.

I never thought that I'd hear that from her. It's always been, don't date.

Mum: You just need to find a good man. He doesn't have to be on staff.
Me: Good men are hard to find.
Mum: Why is your pastor waiting? Why is he not setting you up?
Me: Because there's no one to set me up with?
Mum: But what if nothing happens if you keep waiting? You already know there's no one interested in you in your group. What are you waiting for?
Me: It's not me mum. I'm waiting on God.

Mum: You need to do something about it.
Me: What would you like me to do? Go chase men?
Mum: Nonononono...Of course not. Ok, we'll keep praying. We'll pray.
Me: Yup. Keep praying.

Then it starts back up again at the next conversation.

I use to get really frustrated, but now I'm just amused.

4 comments:

  1. Favourite part: "Why is your pastor waiting? Why is he not setting you up?"
    Yeah Dan, didn't you know that you signed up for matchmaking when you became a pastor?? HAhaha...although Dan and Sue love matchmaking ;).

    Conversations with my dad are similar.
    Dad: "Why don't you do your MBA. That's where you'll meet a quality guy. Not some salsa pro who works at McDonalds. if you don't put yourself in places, like an MBA, you'll only meet losers in life."
    Gee thanks Dad.
    oh and "Are you ready for us to look for you yet? You're getting old."

    Sigh. Hahah :). Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA! Oh yeah, I forgot about the Masters...comments. She's been wanting me to go get my Masters to find a guy too. Hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. Oh Asian parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm doing my Masters. No girls. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete