Monday, September 21, 2009

Mama's Recipes



C.K. always told me that someone told her it's a bad idea to try your mother-in-law's recipes because it'll never taste as good to your husband. Duly noted, but heck, it's bad enough trying MY mom's recipes especially since she cooks by taste and not by specific detailed recipes. Her recipes fall along the lines of "use some of this, some of that, and some of that... until it tastes right." Right.

The first thought after the first bite is always, "doesn't taste like mum's".

Tonight I made the BBQ spare ribs, chives- actually leeks with eggs, miso soup, and red bean soup. All for the first time, and all of which, were mummy's recipes with the exception of the miso soup. But then there's also something to be said for trying to duplicate something from a restaurant.

They weren't bad. It wasn't like when I first started cooking, and the first edition of everything went to feed the garbage, but it definitely wasn't mum's or the restaurant's.

Only the red bean soup tasted close to mum's.

But it didn't taste like crap, and L.W. was well fed and thought I should make a good pastor's wife. So I'm content.

Tomorrow: The Chicken Soup. Also a first a edition.

1 comment: