Sunday, September 13, 2009

TIFF 2009

The TIFF, another reason why I love being Torontonian. It's one of the world's top four film festivals depending on who you talk to. Woot.

My Top Five TIFF Wish List

1. Cooking With Stella
I knew I recognized the director's last name when I saw it. He's Deepa Mehta's brother! That and the fact that Lisa Ray's in this movie sold me on it. AND it's Canadian.
2. Whip It
Ellen Page in Drew Barrymore's directorial debut about a girl who enters a roller derby
3. Good Hair
Chris Rock's documentary on black women's hair. I'm thinking this will be like Russell Peter's commentary on Indian culture?
4. Men Staring at Goats
George Clooney and Ewan MacGregor. Need I say more? The premise sounds pretty out there, but funny.
5. What's Your Raashee?
Bollywood. Period.

Oh, and I hope The Trotsky wins the People's Choice Awards. So clever, funny, and CANADIAN.

The other movie that I saw at the TIFF was City of Life and Death. It was about the Japanese invasion of Nanking.
Graphic.
Its images still disturb me every time they flit through my thoughts. The rape scenes were....

Hopefully some free passes to Israeli films this week will erase those mental images. Although as B.M. said, it's good to watch things that make you feel uncomfortable. Not rape scenes per se, but films that deal with somber subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment