Thursday, July 03, 2008

And THEN the Car Stopped Working...

and stopped dead on, in the middle of the exit ramp of the underground parking garage. Go figure. The rear wheel had been squealing the whole time in the garage, but hey it worked...until we hit the incline.

LUCKILY! I, in my profound wisdom and foresight bought a premium CAA membership back in December in preparation for such damsel in distress moments as these, so patting myself on the back I quickly called CAA- only to find out that they could not and would not tow a car whose license plates have expired, which presented quite the conundrum because guess where I was going?

To Canadian Tire.
To have my car checked and re-certified so that my plates would be a-ok again.

At this point, panic was starting to rise a little bit, but BEHOLD! there is another company who would be very willing to tow me for a small fee, which just happened to be slightly over my debit card's limit. DOH! And seeing how I was just mugged oh...16 hours ago, that was not enough time for my brand new spanking credit card to arrive in the mail.

Cue emotional and nervous breakdown. Joking. Sort of.

Me + Car Trouble = Agony

I needed help. Badly.

I mentally scrolled through my list of trusty Torontonian friends only to realize that those who can actually help in a practical manner are all out of town...except for a saint named J who called around to look for other towing companies with no success who then called upon another saint, Ethan.

While all this was happening an angel in the form of a helpful man drove through the garage and actually stopped to help. GASP. Whereas four or five cars before just drove on past. A modern day Samaritan that man was.

He not only got my car out of the precarious position it was in, but got the rear wheel to start working again. The axle apparently was stuck.

Providentially a parking spot opened up nearby and I was able to park permanently and most importantly SAFELY, laying to rest my imminent plans to stake out my car tonight.

Ethan helped me figure out a plan of action for tomorrow, and I returned to my apartment relieved.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:25 PM

    You didn't happen to leave the e-brake on while you were in Africa, did you? Apparently you're not supposed to do that because your back wheels can seize up and sometimes get permanently stuck (like ours).
    Glad you got out of your crazy predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately...I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:55 PM

    yeah...what is it with people not wanting to help??? today i was carrying like 25 binders in this HUGE bag from G&T to work and mid intersection the bag breaks. lovely. im wearing a skirt. it's windy. i can't hold my skirt down. 3 men are just sitting there NOT EVEN MOVING. i just picked up really quickly as my skirt was at the mercy of the wind. that made me upset. seriously, just help a girl out here!

    anyway. that's my story. hope the plan of action goes well tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete