Wednesday, May 30, 2007

These Things Happen, Stories of MPD Bloopers

Bust Out the Awkward Turtle
Friend A was an acquaintance who I haven't seen or talked to since high school. When I called her up I caught her at a bad time. As I was trying to build rapport I found it to be hard. From my POV there were long awkward pauses.

"Awkward, awkward, awwwwwwwwkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard," I chanted to myself in my mind until my real voice followed suit and blurted out,

"Awkward!"

Needless to say I immediately tried to finish the conversation as fast as I could then and there.

Chinese Time
This past Saturday I had three appointments scheduled back to back. Despite being stuck in traffic for a tiny bit I had made it to my first appointment on time. As I waited for my friend I begin to remember the concept of "chinese time" meaning that chinese people usually showed up 15-25 minutes after the appointed time.

I kept this in the back of my head as I parted ways with my first friend to meet my second. Standing in front of Second Cup I was sure that he was going to show up. After all we confirmed over Facebook. But as the 15 minute mark passed and then the 25 minute mark passed, my confidence wavered. Worst of all I had forgotten to ask him for his cell phone number and I didn't give him mine. At the 40 minute mark my stomach was aching for food, and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to show up. In any case I just couldn't wait any longer. I hadn't eaten a thing all morning except for a few bites of stale croissant from Second Cup. So I left. Moral of the story? Confirm by phone and get the cell number!

5k in 1.5 Hours
The same day that Divine Appointment #2 happened, Blooper #3 occurred. In between the two Doris called for our weekly phone appointment and I had asked her to pray that the appointment later that night in St. Kitts was going to happen because so many things could go wrong on the way.

Well to start off with I left a bit later than originally planned because my alarm clock didn't go off for my nap. I was still going to make it on time though if I drove at a decent speed. I hurtled down highway 6 towards Hamilton all the while torn between a desire for more speed and the fear of the sign that said: 100km Fine: $95. If I got a ticket would that be reimbursable under MPD? I consoled myself with the fact that once I got on to the 403 I would be able to go much faster. Little did I know...

Two lanes on the QEW were closed due to an accident. This meant that the 403 was backed up from the QEW all the way to highway 6 where I had turned off. As my car inched along the 403 at a whopping 0km per hour the road signs again taunted me with: QEW 5km. Finally after 1.5 hours I got to the turnoff for the QEW. Straining to see ahead I could tell that the traffic wasn't moving much faster there. By this time even if the QEW was moving along smoothly I would have arrived 2 hours late. At the very next turnoff I left the 403 and doubled back to Guelph.

But it wasn't all for naught. When I got tired of the music that I had in my car I tuned into 680 news where I heard all the juicy gossip I mean news from this past week. Apparently the Governator and some dude in Ottawa have a bet going on who's going to win the Stanley Cup, and Toronto wants to put microchips in its garbage bins.

Moral of the story? Listen to 680 before leaving.

3 comments:

  1. what is the OEW? do you mean the QEW?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.....whooops. guess i have OEX on the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think chinese time is a myth ... i've never been stood up by a chinese person before. i find that they're usually quite punctual.

    ok, except for Adam Lim. But he hardly counts. AND that was in his first year. he's almost always on time now!

    ReplyDelete