Friday, April 06, 2007

Reinvention

Not of this blog, but the topic of reinvention of oneself. Wednesday Becky, Vanessa, and I hung out talking about cabbages and kings. We touched the topic of reinvention and whether people we use to know have changed and how we've changed ourselves.

Looking back to high school I was definitely a geek. I was into anime, manga, gamed-RPGs, went to cons, and cosplayed. If you didn't understand any of those terms, that's ok. You just don't know the full extent of my geekdom. And if you understood without me explaining well all that...then we're in the same boat. So apparently I reinvented myself. At first I thought that wasn't true.

It was just a lack of disposable income that stifled the expensive hobby:
1)FF carried over to PS2. No money for PS2 much less the games.
2)Convicted about pirated software so got rid of Photoshop. Did not have 700 bones to get a real copy.
3)Once you use Copic you can't go back, but I was too poor to buy them anymore. $7 a pop for an uber nice marker is too much. Unless I was a professional. [In my dreams.]
4)No time to earn money either.

But then as I thought about it maybe I did reinvent myself. Or rather Someone reinvented me. Something bigger grabbed ahold of my heart. Even if I had the disposable income would I have spent it on those things? Probably not. I've also chosen to spend most of my spare time in ministry. Priorities have changed.

Still a geek though. Not going to lie. Definitely still got the otaku within. <3 Still got the love for drawing and daydreaming stories. In fact I filled a third of my sketchbook with solid sketches this semester. Quite a feat considering I've had artist's block for about two years.

Now what?
I want to create a manga to stimulate thinking on spirituality and point people to the Truth instead of all the pseudo po-mo stuff out there, and I want to create a manga for girls addressing relationships/beauty/contentment/singleness, etc...Not that I am an expert, but...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment