I usually try to avoid the latest fads because I hate being a "bandwagoner", but I always end up jumping on the bandwagon anyway. Case in point: Mark Driscoll, and Mars Hill Church. Many people around me were raving about, listening to, and reading Driscoll. Eventually my curiosity got the better of me. I listened to one of his sermons, and I loved it! So solid AND culturally relevant.
One of THE highlights was the chance to visit Mars Hill Church during my visit to Olympia/Seattle. We went to the 7pm service. I was so giddy, excited, and really trying hard not to act like a teeny bopper tourist.
The sermon was on Nehemiah Chapter 5:14-19. It was SO good! Kinda weird seeing Mark preach live though after listening to all those sermons. I really wanted to meet him afterwards, but I guess there's enough yahoos in Seattle for him not to be available to the general public. There were security guards at the service!
So instead of talking to Pastor Mark Driscoll, I headed for the book shop where I almost cleaned them out. I also got two cds of their live worship. Amazing.
This guy and this church is just so inspirational. Being there stoked my passion for Christ and the desire to reach out to our culture instead of just being frustrated with it.
I am so excited to see him at Staff Conference, and I am most definitely planning a return trip to Mars Hill when I hit up Seattle/Olympia in July.
know full well that when you are on staff, you will be getting sometimes discounts on books. so don't get too book-shopping-crazy just yet!
ReplyDeleteSilas,
ReplyDeleteThis was uber cheap. Average $10-15 per book.