Friday, August 31, 2007

It's ALWAYS Thanksgiving!

Please Note: This one is PURELY self-centered.

You know how the saying goes "Always a bridesmaid, NEVER a bride"?
No, this is not a rant about never getting married, it's about my birthday.
It's about how it's NEVER my birthday. It's ALWAYS Thanksgiving. October 7 is always inevitably THANKSGIVING weekend. No ifs, no ands, and no buts. ALWAYS Thanksgiving. I'm always second fiddle to Thanksgiving.

I never had an issue with this until university. You see in high school the majority was the minority. We were all Asian. Thanksgiving to us was a foreign holiday. It'd just be one meal with the parents and that's it. The rest of the weekend was ours. It also helped that none of us were living AWAY from home. So at that time all of us were trying to get OUT of the house, which meant I got my fete.

At university my friendships "diversified". Most of my friends were Caucasian and Thanksgiving was a BIG thing. Even the Asians left because once you leave home, you miss home. EVERYONE went home at Thanksgiving to celebrate....you know it, Thanksgiving. Which left me pretty much alone with no real celebration on the day of. {insert "All By Myself" by Celine Dion here}

I know we'd celebrate a week later. Or some friends would do things with me to make up for the day either before or after October 7th or some friends would call or would call AND serenade on the day of, and I appreciated all of that, but I longed for a party with all my closest friends on the day OF. Which at this point is pretty much impossible anyways since two members of my SWAT team are now out of the beautiful country of Ontario. It just doesn't feel like my birthday anymore a week later or a week before.

This is all to say I wish Thanksgiving was in November like the USA so the poor souls who are born the weekend of November 24-26 would have to deal with this, not me. Because I actually do enjoy Thanksgiving. I love stuffing, but it's ALWAYS on my birthday! But since this won't change unless I move out of the country (i.e. STINT...kidding) I will suck it up...now.

Another Disclaimer: I know I'm not the only one whose birthday lands on another major event. I feel the pain of my friends whose birthdays are ALWAYS Summit, Day of Evangelism, Christmas, project, and etc...

What prompted this? Trying to figure out when to host a shindig for said birthday and realizing that good dates are few and far between. 22 may have to pass quietly.

And puh-lease don't pity me. This is not me wanting attention or extra special stuff or sympathy or whatever. This is me wanting to get it out of my system once and for all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Hmm, I had always felt sorry for the Christmas birthdays, hadn't really thought of Thanksgiving ones...

    But I didn't come here to comfort you, but to brag about mine! May 20th is pretty much opposite of Christmas, so the presents are spread out evenly. And when it falls on a holiday it is on the Victoria day weekend, so it's a long weekend that no one really cares about and it can be all about me! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, at least you'll have friends around you for your birthday...even if it IS a week early or a week late.

    me.... i'll have.... my parents?

    i wish i was in town for your birthday (and that you weren't going to thankgiving with the mitts)...

    i'd celebrate it on the day of.

    ReplyDelete