I had a support appointment in Newmarket. As I pulled out of the parking lot at the end of the appointment I noticed that I was a few notches away from empty on the fuel gauge. Sitting there at the red light I was flanked on both sides of the road by a gas station. Going against my better judgement I decided to wait until I hit the 400 to find an Esso just so I could rack up more aeroplan points. Little did I know...
As I drove further away from Newmarket and closer to the highway the roads became darker and darker as there were less street lights and less buildings. There were no gas stations. By the time I hit the 400 the fuel gauge was nearly empty, but I calmed myself with the fact that the fuel light didn't go on yet. I still had time. As I was gunning it down the highway I was trying to decide whether I should go slower to save more gas or go faster to try to get to the next gas station on time. I turned off at nearly every exit to try to find a gas station, but each exit was as dark as the night with no blinding white lights nearby to signal that there was gas nearby.
I was starting to get nervous. I drove around a bit at one exit only to use what little I had left to find a closed gas station. The fuel light went on, I started praying like mad, and at the same time started scolding myself for, one: stubbornly wanting those aeroplan points and two: never calling CAA to get a membership for the past four years. As if that would help matters.
I went back on the highway praying that the next exit would bring a gas station, but the darkness just seemed to loom on forever. Who knew that such a major highway would be so deserted?
Finally a sign announcing the existence of a service station relieved my fears and answered my prayers. It was an Esso to boot as well. In the end I didn't get stranded, got my gas, AND my aeroplan points. Oh God is good.
I should get on that CAA membership.
No comments:
Post a Comment