Saturday, April 19, 2008

Culture Shock In My Own Hood

Mom's in town, and that means requisite visits to all extended family members in the area. I love the wining and dining part that comes along with these visits because food that tastes this good and in this much quantity only comes my way every so often. I love being able to converse (loudly) in my mother tongue again. I love hearing old family stories. I love being spoiled rotten and being doted on in a way that only an only child from a chinese family can be.

But this time around there was a bit of culture shock. While there has always been things about the chinese culture that irk me like horking, this time I haven't been able to "slip back in" to the culture as smoothly as before. I feel disoriented like a fish out of water. I can't put my finger on it, but it disturbs me because in the past four years it wasn't that hard to go back and forth between Guelph and the yellow side of the family. And going from burgers and dogs to chicken feet is a pretty big jump.

When I knew that I was moving back to Toronto, I made a conscious decision not to get sucked into an Asian bubble again, but now I wonder if I had gone too far and have actually moved away from my roots....

3 comments:

  1. I guess we on the 'white side' might be the weird ones. Chicken feet are a bit more ubiquitous than I first would have guessed. We were served a broth with noodles and the feet of chickens by the family I lived with in Peru. The just loved sucking the gristle off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woops, i'm signed in under my work name. but it was katie! hi shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie V! I miss you hun!

    ReplyDelete